Monday, January 31, 2011

Newest Felted Hand Bag - $120 Custom Order

You can custom order a bag just like this with the choice of 69 colours for $120.  Super durable, practically indestructible!  Measures 10" x 10" and 5" in width.  Why pay more for a Gucci, Prada or Coach bag when you can have a one-of-kind hand crafted original in your choice of colours?

If you do not knit or crochet you probably think $120 is expensive.  Here is the breakdown.  It took 20 hours to make and I am a fast crocheter.  Each square takes 45 minutes.  There are 16 squares.  Then they need to be sew together, strap and handle added.  Then felted, shaped and shaved (fuzzy from the felting process).  Shrinkage through felting means that I need to make everything 35% bigger, therefore more time and more yarn.  If I charged a minimum wage of $10 an hour, the bag would cost $200 not including the cost of the 100% wool.  Seems like a bargain now doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Lisa, from Alberta! Beautiful work!..:) I do not crochet, but I am a cone 6 electric potter, so enjoyed seeing your buttons..You have inspired me to try these along with the brooches I make.:)
    Thanks for posting the info on 'crochet' machines in your Nov 26 post..Yes, nothing like true handcrafted work.
    Re: your handbags. How do you finish the insides?..maybe you posted this somewhere further back than I have looked.
    I am setting my sites on a bag.:)
    Wow! I just checked your website: you are a busy person :)
    Have a great day.
    Trish from Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Trish from Alberta! Thanks for your comments. My pottery and crochet are hobbies because I have a job that pays the bills. Wish I could create all day but I would starve to death! LOL! But I seem to find balance, sort of anyway. Regarding my bags, I do not line them because they are so thick and durable from the felting process that they do not need to be lined and will not stretch for weight or use.

    Any questions about my bags feel free to email me. Also let me know if you do make some ceramic buttons, I would love to see them!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete