Sunday, April 3, 2011

If It Ain't Broke.....

Well I gave it a try and it is clear now that I chose the wrong clay.  I love the feel of porcelain and know it will probably be lovely on the wheel but right now 100% of what I do is hand-building  because that is what I love to do.  The porcelain totally sticks in the slab roller, stretched right out of the extruder and fell on the floor and doesn't like to be manipulated like hand-built pieces sooooooooo I am going back to a clay that I know works for everything I do.  Why fight it?  Back to Seattle Sex Mix 5.  Which also means another 3 hour round trip to Langley, BC but I am supposed to be enjoying myself in the studio right?

Below is a photo of two porcelain-like clays that I was testing Plainsman M350 (brown) and M370 (white).  Not only did they crack, they blew apart! I managed to figure out what I did wrong but once I realized I can't even use these clays in the slab roller or extruder it was time to make a decision.  I tried working with these clays for two months but now I am going back to a true, trusted and true clay.  I am keeping the Plainsman M370 for when I do plan on messing around on the wheel but I will be picking up a car load of Seattle Sea Mix 5 this week as a birthday present to myself!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I use M370 for slab and wheel work and recently extruded some. I spray the barrel of the extruder with vegetable oil and all seemed/seamed well. The clay needs to be wet enough. Plainsman is what is available here, along with Laguna, in Saskatoon. I also use M390 for my red clay body. I agree...the clay is crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa...well..craaapppy!! I am sorry that you can't get M370 to work with you. I agree with Teresa (HI, Teresa!), that you need to lubricate the barrel and I also slab roll these clays all the time. You need to gradually work the slab down to the thickness you want using the roller, but I'm sure you know that. Slow drying for the M370 is necessary too, I think. Email me if you need more help. :). Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. For two months I fought with the clay. I figured out the cracking and slow drying but every single thing I did with it became a struggle. I do 100% hand-building and how not produced a single thing in two months. So I went back to my tried, trusted and true clay.

    But I have kept the clay as I know it will be wonderful on the wheel. When I feel the M370 it just begs to be thrown so I will get back on the wheel eventually. So I kept the clay since it will not go bad.

    ReplyDelete